Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Come What May - Vicky Leandros

This was one of my favorite song circa 1970. It was made popular the Greek singer Vicky Leandros.

At that time I was in standard 4G, Sekolah Rendah Jenis Kebangsaan (I), Cator Avenue, Ipoh. The (I) stands for Inggeris as my jenis was English. (C) stands for Chinese, (T) for Tamil and (M) for Malay.

I do not know why the Jenis had to be included with the name of the school, but till now I still think it sounds silly. Maybe because they (the government) wants to include the 'Kebangsaan' or National with the name of the school so that 'others' won't think that this school is a wholly English, Chinese, Tamil or Malay language type of school.

I am sure I have lots of fond memories when in primary school, but most of the good ones has left me. I can't even remember the names of my close friends, what more the names of the teachers who taught me.

Anyway, the song was originally written in French as "Après Toi" meaning After You. It was translated into English as "Come What May" and was a big hit in the UK reaching #2 on the UK Singles Chart. Globally it sold over one million copies, and was awarded a gold disc. Leandros also recorded the song in six other languages.

In 1972 Leandros represented Luxembourg at  Eurovision Song Contest for the second time and won the contest with the song. I couldn't find a copy of the song in MYspace nor in any other MP3 site, but this is what I got, just to try and rekindle the memories.

Maybe by playing it over and over again, those memories will 'come what may' back to me...hahaha lantak kau la...menyalah gunakan idiom jenis kebangsaan!





Free Vicky Leandros Songs | Free ringtones at EZ-Tracks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment